Friday, May 22, 2015

Carry Over Pt. 1

I became so excited about having a blog and actually starting that I didn't think it through. So these are the posts that I carried over from my first attempt. They aren't phenomenal but I still didn't want to lose them. Part One.

Pastatrophe:
So as I hinted in my previous post, this started with a terrible experience with even worse food. I was so angry from this experience and not wanting anyone else to waste their money there that it put the bug in my ear to start this blog. I love a lot of things but let's be real, pasta is a gift from the food gods. My husband and I decided to try an Italian restaurant on Reno and Meridian called Portofino's. Let me get a few things clear. We were helped as soon as we came in and the staff was very friendly. We were immediately assisted with our drinks and left with the menu. Being first timers and soaking it all in we were promptly brought our drinks and what seemed to be warm dinner rolls/bread. We dug right in and that bread was fantastic. It was warm, airy, and buttery. Being stoked about dinner we ordered our entrées. Joey ended up ordering a ravioli and I ordered a penne with red sauce. Salads came with our dinner and we of course ordered Italian dressing. When getting the salad it all looked fine but the dressing tasted like it came straight from a bottle. It was sickly sweet. Looking at the salad and thinking of the bread we still had hope for dinner. We got our main entrées in phenomenal time but we were highly disappointed with the quality of the food. The portion was tiny for the price. Joey's ravioli was either frozen or stuffed with minimal cheese and the sauce was just smothered on so that all you could taste was high acidity from the tomato sauce. Whomever helped plate my entrée did not know how to drain pasta from the water or correctly drain penne pasta so the bottom of my dish was a mixture of the tomato sauce and pasta water. The tomato sauce tasted semi house made, a jumble of canned tomatoes and tomato paste with fresh tomatoes. Judging by the high acidity and lack of herb flavor I don't believe fresh herbs were used in this sauce. Overall, the service and the bread were great but I was left frustrated at paying for bottled Italian dressing and someone who didn't know to shake pasta longer because of the shape. I work hard for my money and when I go out to spend it on what should be delicious food, I want to know that some passion or thought went into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment